Florence has the highest concentration of cultural masterpieces and people working in heritage conservation in the world. It is the ideal place to acquire and improve knowledge and skills for the protection of cultural heritage.
For over 40 years the Institute has held summer courses in its laboratories in July and September for students who are interested in doing practical courses. The summer courses are taught by the same professors as the three-year academic courses.
Students on the Paintings Restoration course will be able to analyse damage and carry out restoration procedures on the paintings and their supports.
Schedule and Location
From Monday to Friday every morning from 09:00 to 13:00 for a total of 80 hours.
The same course will be held again from 6 to 30 September from 09:00 to 13:00.
The course will take place in our laboratories in Via delle Casine 21/rosso in Florence.
Following current anti-covid legislation, admission to the laboratories will only be allowed after measurement of the students' temperature. All students must wear face masks.
The course is open to all applicants, Italian and international. Prior knowledge of the subject is not necessary.
The course is taught in Italian. Good basic knowledge of the language is required.
A Certificate of Attendance is issued to all participants at the end of the course.
- How to study a painting
- Colour fixing
- Recovery of the support
- Recanvasing with paste, wax, mixed techniques, in tension, transparent
- Use of a low pressure table
- Consolidation of textile supports of ancient and contemporary paintings with minimal intervention techniques
- Methodology for planning a restoration project.
- Photographic research
- Direct and indirect humidification
- Using a low pressure table to recover surfaces.
- Consolidation with synthetic resins.
- Suturing of cuts and lacerations.
- Strip lining
- Cold lining
- Techniques for stuccoing holes with brushes and spatulas, colouring the stucco
- Tutorials on painting retouching techniques
- Varnishing paintings and the study of synthetic and natural protective substances
Applicants must send the following documents to the Secretariat of the Istitute for Art and Restoration:
- Enrolment form
- Amministrative Regulations (signed and dated)
- A copy of the payment receipt or bank transfer for the full course fee
- Copy of an ID document
Documents can be sent via email to email@example.com, by post to Via Maggio, 13 - 50125 Firenze or by fax (+39 055 217963).
Applicants are advised to enrol at least two weeks before the course start date. Enrolments are accepted depending on the availability of places on the course.
Course fees can be paid directly to the Administration Office or by sending a check or postal order to:
Istituto per l'Arte e il Restauro
Via Maggio, 13
Bank transfers can be made to Istituto per l'Arte e il Restauro,
UNICREDIT SPA, agenzia di Firenze, Via de’ Vecchietti
IBAN: IT 33 E 02008 02837 000000880880