Florence has the highest concentration of masterpieces and people working in heritage conservation in the world and it provides the best opportunities to acquire and perfect knowledge and skills for the protection of cultural heritage.
For over 35 years the Institute has held summer courses in its laboratories in July and September for students who are interested in doing practical courses. The summer courses are taught by the same professors as the three-year academic courses.
The Cleaning Paintings course gives students theoretical and practical knowledge on all traditional cleaning methods for cleaning works of art.
CONTACT HOURS AND LOCATION
From Monday to Friday every afternoon from 2 p.m. to 6 p.m. for a total of 40 hours.
The course is held at the historic location of Palazzo Ridolfi in Via Maggio 13, and in the laboratories in Via delle Casine 21/rosso in Florence.
The course is open to Italian and international applicants. Previous experience in the sector is not necessary.
The course is taught in Italian. Applicants should have good elementary knowledge of the language.
A Certificate of Attendance is issued to all participants at the end of the course.
- Ethical problems of cleaning.
- Factors discoloration.
- UV analysis.
- The use of the triangles of solubility, the solubility test.
- Protective equipment and prevention.
- Thickeners and thickened solutions, gels drives.
- Enzymes and artificial saliva.
- The methods in aqueous and non-aqueous cleaning of polychrome surfaces.
- The buffer solutions; the importance of control of pH and electrical conductivity.
To enrol on the course students must send the following documents to the Secretariat of the Institute for Art and Restoration:
1. Enrolment Form
2. Amministrative Regulations (signed and dated)
3. A copy of the payment receipt or bank transfer for the full course fee
4. A photocopy of an ID document
Students can send the documents by email to email@example.com, by fax (+39 055 217963) or by post.
Students are advised to enrol at least two weeks before the course start date. Enrolments are accepted depending on the availability of places on the course.
Course fees can be paid directly to the Administration Office or by sending a check or postal order to:
Istituto per l'Arte e il Restauro
Via Maggio, 13
Course fees can also be paid by bank transfer to the following account:
Istituto per l’Arte e il Restauro
UNICREDIT SPA, agenzia di Firenze, Via de’ Vecchietti
Iban: IT 33 E 02008 02837 000000880880