Florence has the highest concentration of masterpieces and people working in heritage conservation in the world and it provides the best opportunities to acquire and perfect knowledge and skills for the protection of cultural heritage.
For over 35 years the Institute has held summer courses in its laboratories in July and September for students who are interested in doing practical courses. The summer courses are taught by the same professors as the three-year academic courses.
Students on the Restoration of Polychrome and Gilded Artefacts course will acquire knowledge of wooden works of art and how to restore their polychrome and gilded finishings.
CONTACT HOURS AND LOCATION
From Monday to Friday every afternoon from 2 p.m. to 6 p.m. for a total of 80 hours.
The course will take place in our laboratories in Via delle Casine 21/rosso in Florence.
The course is open to all applicants, Italian and international. The course is taught in Italian. Due to the practical nature of the course, an elementary level of the language is sufficient to participate.
A Certificate of Attendance is issued to all participants at the end of the course.
- A brief history of construction techniques of wooden sculptures
- Ammannitura (preparation layer): various preparation techniques
- Polychrome wooden sculptures
- Gilt wooden sculptures
- Consolidation of the support, recovery of preparatory and polychrome layers
- Cleaning, stuccoing, integration techniques for gilded surfaces
- Pictorial retouching techniques: color selection, imitation and speckled technique
To enrol on the course students must send the following documents to the Secretariat of the Institute for Art and Restoration:
1. Enrolment Form
2. Amministrative Regulations (signed and dated)
3. A copy of the payment receipt or bank transfer for the full course fee
4. A photocopy of an ID document
Students can send the documents by email to firstname.lastname@example.org, by fax (+39 055 217963) or by post.
Students are advised to enrol at least two weeks before the course start date. Enrolments are accepted depending on the availability of places on the course.
Course fees can be paid directly to the Administration Office or by sending a check or postal order to:
Istituto per l'Arte e il Restauro
Via Maggio, 13
Course fees can also be paid by bank transfer to the following account:
Istituto per l’Arte e il Restauro
UNICREDIT SPA, agenzia di Firenze, Via de’ Vecchietti
Iban: IT 33 E 02008 02837 000000880880