Florence has the highest concentration of cultural masterpieces and people working in heritage conservation in the world. It is the ideal place to acquire and improve knowledge and skills for the protection of cultural heritage.
For over 40 years the Institute has held summer courses in its laboratories in July and September for students who are interested in doing practical courses. The summer courses are taught by the same professors as the three-year academic courses.
Students on the bookbinding course will look at full leather bindings and see their technical and structural characteristics.
Schedule and Location
From Monday to Friday every morning from 09:00 to 14:00 for a total of 50 hours.
The course is held at tthe Pio de Bardi building in Via de' Michelozzo 2 in Florence.
The course is open to all applicants, Italian and international. Prior knowledge of bookbinding is not necessary.
The course is taught in Italian. Good basic knowledge of the language is required to participate.
A Certificate of Attendance is issued to all participants at the end of the course.
- Knowledge of book components
- Study of the body of the book
- The cover and its structure
- Technical and structural characteristics of ancient bindings
- Basic differences between ancient bindings in cardboard and modern bindings
- Types of stitching, stitching supports, materials, methods and techniques: stitching on a frame, single line (linen and/or hemp)
- Prototype of a cardboard binding covered in full leather and capitals by hand
Applicants must send the following documents to the Secretariat of the Istitute for Art and Restoration:
- Enrolment form
- Amministrative Regulations (signed and dated)
- A copy of the payment receipt or bank transfer for the full course fee
- Copy of an ID document
Documents can be sent via email to firstname.lastname@example.org, by post to Via Maggio, 13 - 50125 Firenze or by fax (+39 055 217963).
Applicants are advised to enrol at least two weeks before the course start date. Enrolments are accepted depending on the availability of places on the course.
Course fees can be paid directly to the Administration Office or by sending a check or postal order to:
Istituto per l'Arte e il Restauro
Via Maggio, 13
Bank transfers can be made to Istituto per l'Arte e il Restauro,
UNICREDIT SPA, agenzia di Firenze, Via de’ Vecchietti
IBAN: IT 33 E 02008 02837 000000880880